1937 Auto Union Wanderer W25 K Roadster
ESTABLISHED IN 1896 in Chemnitz, Germany, Winklhofer & Jaenicke manufactured bicycles, motorcycles and machinery before adopting the name Wanderer in 1911 and producing automobiles and vans until 1945. Its first automobile, the W1 5/12 PS, affectionately known as “püppchen” (little doll) appeared in 1913. The püppchen popularized Wanderer among Europe’s middle classes and Wanderer subsequently produced a full line of automobiles. In 1932, four German automobile companies - Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer -merged to form Auto Union. The four interlocking rings that grace every Audi today signify those four Auto Union marques.
In the 1930s Dr. Ferdinand Porsche was a consultant to several German car makers and consulted with Wanderer on the design and manufacture of the Wanderer W25K’s supercharged engine. This progressive design, capable of powering this car to a top speed of 93 mph, was Dr. Porsche’s first engineering and design project after he graduated from engineering school.
This highly original car’s early history is unknown. Purchased in 1964 by Fritz Schlumpf it was confiscated by the French Government in 1977, released to Arlette Schlumpf in 1999, sold to Jaap Braam Ruben and Bruno Vendiesse from Holland, and then purchased in 2008 by Peter Mullin as part of the Schlumpf Reserve Collection.
Chassis No. 180223
Production No: 1 of 257 Produced
Engine No. 180231
Inline Six-Cylinder Aluminum Engine
85 BHP At 4,000 RPM
4-Speed Synchromesh Manual Gearbox
Rigid Rear Axle With Front and Rear Transverse Leaf Spring Independent Suspension
4-Wheel Lockheed Hydraulic Drum Brakes