1936 Avions Voisin C28 Clairiere Berline
FORMERLY PROPERTY OF GABRIEL VOISIN, ONE OF TWO EXISTING
THE FIRST CLARIERE MODEL, produced in 1935, was powered by a six-cylinder, 3-Liter C25 engine. The C28 model was fit with a larger and more powerful 3.3-Liter motor, of which only two examples are known to exist - the other being held by the Cité de l’Automobile National Museum, in France.
In 1936 this C-28 Clairière was delivered to the French Embassy in Berlin, where it was assigned to a Mr. Le Feule, an Embassy attaché, until 1938. According to H. Bernard, son of Voisin technical director Marius Bernard, the attaché directed the factory to apply hot water to the car’s leather seats for several hours prior to delivery, to ensure they were properly broken-in. M. Le Feule reportedly enjoyed driving the German autobahns in his sleek and powerful Voisin.
After World War II, the C28 was returned to France, where it came into the possession of Gabriel Voisin, who used it for his own requirements. By the late 1960s, the collector Serge Pozzoli, who was at the time planning to create a French automobile museum, had acquired the Clairière. It was subsequently resold, still in unrestored condition, to two major French collectors in 1980. The car was repurchased by Voisin family members in 1998 who saw the necessity of returning the car to its original glory and commissioned a full restoration.
This Voisin was used in the 1962 Henri Verneuil film “Le Président”. Peter Mullin purchased this car from Phillipe Moch in 2010.
Chassis No. CG 28917
Production No.: 1 of 30 Produced
Engine No. 53010
Inline Six-Cylinder Engine
102 BHP At 3,800 RPM
Crank-Driven Double-Sleeve Valving
4-Speed Electomagnetic Gearbox
Live Axle With Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs Front and Rear
4-Wheel Lockheed Hydraulic Drum Brakes