1922 Bugatti Type 23 Brescia Two-Seater
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF HUGH CONWAY
THE ORIGIN of Chassis 1361’s coachwork is unknown. In 1922 the rolling chassis was produced and sent to the company’s showroom in Paris, as the Bugatti factory did not yet create bodies for its cars. Records indicate that in 1925, Chassis 1361 was purchased by a wealthy gentleman from Londonderry, Northern Ireland. The Irishman drove his Brescia until about 1930 when it was put in storage. Londonderry tax records from 1939 indicate that the original body was removed and the car was dismantled.
In 1949, J.L. Kearney discovered the Brescia in Belfast, bought it, and began the process of reassembly and restoration. Of the original coachwork, only the firewall, hood, radiator, and original seats remained. However, the original chassis and driveline were intact. Restoration was completed in 1958. Hugh Conway, Bugatti owner, expert, and author owned the car from 1961 until 1971. It then passed through the hands of a number of European owners. Peter Mullin purchased the Brescia Type 23 in Germany in 2008.
Chassis No. 1361
Production No. 2006 Produced
Engine No. 1361
Inline Four-Cylinder Engine
45 BHP At 3,800 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
Live Axles With Semi-Elliptical Front Leaf Springs And Reversed Quarter-Elliptical Rear Leaf Springs
2-Wheel Cable-Operated Drum Brakes