1925 Bugatti Type 27 Brescia Torpedo
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF RENE DREYFUS
PRESENTED IN MEMORY OF DAMIANO TAMAGNI
CHASSIS 2461 was delivered to George Pavia of Nancy, France, on April 11, 1925. The car was registered to the address of a small garage owned by Raymond Apparuyt, who owned several Brescias. Mr. Apparuyt raced his cars in local events, such as the 1927 Grand Prix du Salon at Monthlery, and it is likely that this chassis appeared in such races. Residents in the vicinity of Lake Maggiore in Ascona, Switzerland remember Chassis 2461 belonging to a French architect named Marco Schmuklerski around 1933. After him, accounts differ as to ownership, but the descendents of Adalbert Bode of Switzerland claim to have documentation that he was the next owner. According to family legend, Mr. Bode wanted to avoid the registration fees and taxes levied on his car and decided to hide it in Lake Maggiore, attaching it to a float with a chain that fatigued and broke, releasing the Type 27 to the bottom of the lake; a depth of 53 meters.
Discovered in August 1967, the Brescia remained underwater until July 2009 when raised by Centro Sport Subacquei Ascona. The car was significantly deteriorated after seventy-three years on the bottom of the lake; it was useless as an automobile – but priceless as an object of art. Purchased in January, 2010 the proceeds of this sale helped fund the Damiano Tamagni Foundation, whose mission is the prevention of youth violence.
Chassis No. 2461
Production No. 1 of 2006 Produced
Engine No. 879
Inline Four-Cylinder Engine (Twin Ignt.)
45 BHP At 3,800 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
Live Axles With Semi-Elliptical Front Leaf Springs And Reversed Quarter-Elliptical Rear Leaf Springs
2-Wheel Cable-Operated Drum Brakes