1925 Bugatti Type 35C Grand Prix
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF DICK CROSTHWAITE
ORDERED AND BUILT for Jarrott and Letts, the Bugatti concessionaire in London, chassis 4634 was the first Type 35A to be imported to England. The company sold the car to Chris Staniland, a young RAF pilot. Staniland raced 4634 at the British Automobile Racing Club opening event at Brooklands and other amateur club races that year, including the Bugatti Cup. The Type 35A’s last race with Staniland was April 1927 at Brooklands.
4634 subsequently moved to Belfast, Ireland and, through a series of owners, was used both as regular transport and in competition, where it achieved further success. When Dick Crosthwaite purchased the car around 1962 it had been disassembled and only the chassis, gearbox, and engine remained. With help from marque expert Hugh Conway, Crosthwaite transformed the vehicle into a Type 35C, installing original Bugatti parts, new coachwork, a 5-rollerbearing crankshaft, and a Roots supercharger.
In 1984 Hamish Moffatt purchased the Bugatti, completed its restoration and sold it to Terry Bennet in the United States from whom it was purchased by Peter Mullin.
Coachbuilder: Factory then Peel
Chassis No. 4634
Production No: 1 of 139 Type 35As
Engine No. 32A
Inline Eight-Cylinder Engine
128 BHP At 5,500 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
Live Axles With Semi-Elliptical Front Leaf Springs And Reversed Quarter-Elliptical Rear Leaf Springs
4-Wheel Cable-Operated Drum Brakes