1926 Bugatti Type 37A Grand Prix
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF GUY HUET
THIS BUGATTI was sold new to Basle Karrer of Zurich on March 26, 1926. Little more is known about this car until 1958 when it was discovered by Bugatti collector Guy Huet near the Swiss-German border, where it was being used as part of a circus act. To that purpose, the body of the car had been altered and extra seats had been welded to the rear. Huet purchased the car, along with several Type 37 engines, from the circus owner. Returning to Amsterdam, Huet restored the Type 37 with the parts he had, installed motor number 23, and added a supercharger. As a result, the car was upgraded to a Type 37A, a common and accepted practice of the day.
In 1975 Huet sold the car to James How of Bexley, England who commissioned Dick Crosthwaite to rebuild it. Peter Mullin purchased the car in 1991, and has driven it in vintage car events throughout the United States.
Chassis No. 57374
Production No. 1st of 4 Produced
Engine No. 2S
Inline Eight-Cylinder Engine
170 BHP At 5,500 RPM
3,257 CC Supercharged
Double Overhead Camshafts
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
Solid Front Axle With Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs And Telescopic Shocks.
Live Rear Axle With Reversed Quarter - Elliptical Leaf Springs and Telescopic Shock Absorbers.
4-Wheel Hydraulically-Operated Drum Brakes