1929 Bugatti Type 40 Break De Chasse
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF JOHN SHAKESPEARE, AND HANS & FRITZ SCHLUMPF
THE HISTORY of Chassis 40485 is notably better documented than is often the case. Ordered by and delivered to Mr. Fernand Huck on February 12, 1927, for 40,660 Fr. Francs, this Type 40 was originally outfitted with conduite interieure, or “completely enclosed,” coachwork by Gangloff. However, one of the car’s later owners converted the body to that of a wooden “break de chasse” or “shooting break”, and it is likely that the engine was changed out at that time as well. These alterations took place at some point in the 1930s, during which time the Type 40 went through a number of owners.
Chassis 40485 remained the property of European individuals until 1958, when Jean De Dobbeleer, a Bugatti dealer in Brussels, sold the car to Lyman Greenlee of Anderson, Indiana. Mr. Greenlee later sold the Type 40 to John Shakespeare, who in 1964 included the car among those sold to Fritz Schlumpf. According to the notes of Bob Shaw, the Type 40 was in good condition at the time of sale: the body, painted blue, was sound: the wooden panels were in admirable condition; and the engine and Cotal gearbox were originals. The entire collection was confiscated by the French government in 1977. Following a protracted legal battle, sixty-two of the cars in the “reserve collection” were returned to Fritz Schlumpf’s widow Arlette and remaining family from whom this car was purchased by Peter Mullin in 2008.
Coachbuilder: Carrosserie Gangloff
Chassis No. 40485 (Stamped 40826?)
Production No.: 1 of c. 780
Engine No. 714
Inline Four-Cylinder Engine
50 BHP At 4,500 RPM
4-Speed Cotal Pre-Selector Gearbox
Solid Front Axles With Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs And Friction Shock Absorbers, Live Rear Axle With Quarter-Elliptical Rear Leaf Springs and Friction Shock Absorbers
4-Wheel Cable-Operated Drum Brakes