1937 Delahaye Type 145 V-12 Coupe
THE ÉCURIE BLEUE TEAM, FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF HENRI CHAPRON, AND COUNT HUBERTUS VON DOENHOFF
THIS IS ONE OF FOUR cars on the Ecurie Bleue racing team that competed in 1938 and 1939. It was unfortunately out-classed by Mercedes and had few podium fi nishes. When war broke out, the Ecurie Bleu team sent the car to Fernand Lacour, Delahaye specialist and owner of the Wilson Garage in Levallois, who put it up for sale and it was bought by coachbuilder Henri Chapron who intended to create a grand touring coupe. The fi rst interested buyer, a Mr.Duprie, put down a deposit and work started on the coachwork but was interrupted by the war. After the war, the client had disappeared and a Mr.Vanpoucque purchased the car in 1947. William Procter, of Procter & Gamble Company, acquired ownership in 1951 and brought this automobile to the United States. Bob Grier then bought it and removed the engine. It remained in this confi guration until sold in1970 to Lew Gotthainer who restored the car to its original condition. It changed hands once more in 1972 when it was bought by Count Hubertus von Doenhoff. Peter Mullin added the Delahaye to his collection in 2004.
The car has a Type 145 racing chassis, with a V-12 Type 165, 4.5 liter motor with a single carburetor. The car developed 184 BHP at 4,000 RPM. The transmission is a Cotal 4 speed electric gearbox.
with 4-wheel hydraulically-operated ventilated drum brakes. This car
is owned by Peter Mullin and the Peter Mullin Automotive Museum Foundation.
Coachbuilder: Factory then Henri Chapron Carrossier
Chassis No. 48772
Production No. 1 of 4
Engine Type 165
184 BHP at 4,000 RPM
Cotal 4 speed electric gearbox
Independent Front, Transverse Leaf Spring with Upper Control Arms and Lever Action Shock Absorbers.
Live Rear Axle with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs and Lever Action Shock Absorbers
4-Wheel Hydraulically-Operated , Ventilated Drum Brakes