1938 Delahaye Type 145 V-12 Coupe
THE ÉCURIE BLEUE TEAM
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF HENRI CHAPRON, FRITZ SCHLUMPF, BILL JACOBS, JR., AND MYRON SCHUSTER
THIS IS THE THIRD in a series of four cars on the Ecurie Bleue team which raced in 1938 and 1939. After its competitive career ended, the chassis was purchased by Henri Chapron in 1947 from Delahaye racing specialist Fernand Lacour of the Wilson Garage. Chapron’s intention was to create a grand touring coupe similar to chassis 48772 for Mr. Robert Cuny, the car’s first owner. It was delivered in 1948 with a type 165 motor and a racing three-carburetor set up, and participated in the Rally de Lorraine to much acclaim. Fritz Schlumpf heard about the car, purchased it, placed it in his museum in Mulhouse and then removed the V-12 engine when it stopped running and installed a 6-cylinder motor. Some years later, Ed Andrews of Chicago bought the car from the Schulmpfs. Although he found the original engine in 1970 it remained untouched at his shop until 1983 when Bill Jacobs Jr. bought the car and had it restored to show condition in 1984. It later went through several owners, ending with Peter Mullin in 2003, who restored it once more and has shown it at major concours around the world.
The car has a Type 145 racing chassis, with a V-12 Type 165, 4.5 liter motor and three carburetors. It developed 184 BHP at 4,000 RPM. Its transmission is a 4-speed manual gearbox and 4-wheel hydraulically-operated ventilated drum brakes.
Coachbuilder: Factory then Henri Chapron Carrossier
Chassis No. 48773 (Body #6517)
Production No. 3rd of 4
Engine Type 165
184 BHP at 4,000 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
Independent Front, Transverse Leaf Spring with Upper Control Arms and Lever Action Shock Absorbers.
Live Rear Axle with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs and Lever Action Shock Absorbers
4-Wheel Hydraulically-Operated Ventilated Drum Brakes