1911 Hispano-Suiza 45CR (15-45CV) Type "Alphonso XIII" Voiturette
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF ALBERT ROULINAT, AND EMILIO POLO
THIS IS THE FIRST CHASSIS produced in the second so-called “89” Series of the Model 45CR “Alfonso XIII”. Construction began in April 1911 at the French Hispano-Suiza branch in Paris, France. Albert Roulinat of Villeneuve-sur-Yonne ordered this car new on September 4, 1911. An avid sportsman, Roulinat participated in several competions and rallies in his Alphonso XIII, before his business foundered in 1914 and he was forced to sell his beloved Hispano-Suiza. Little is known about this car’s subsequent history until its remains were purchased in the 1960s by Francisco de la Rocha, a former Hispano-Suiza dealer from the province of Galicia, Spain. After his death, de la Rocha’s family sold his collection of almost 40 Hispano-Suizas, and this chassis that had lost most of its coachwork was purchased as part of a large collection of chassis and spare parts by marque historian Emilio Polo, who later sold this car to Patricio Chadwick. Patricio Chadwick and Emilio Polo believed that this car’s 2.4m short chassis and historical significance warranted extensive research. In 2001 the noted collector Jorge Fernandez purchased the car and commissioned its restoration at Chadwick’s Barcelona shop. Its restoration complete, Peter Mullin purchased this Alphonso XIII in July 2004. Widely recognized as one of the first true “sports cars”, the Alfonso XIII helped to establish Hispano-Suiza as a manufacturer of fine competition and luxury automobiles.
SPEC OVERVIEW: Coachbuilder: Factory then Chadwick Chassis No. 814 Production No. 1 of 25 (Second Series) Engine No. 814 Inline Four-Cylinder Monobloc Engine 64 BHP At 2,300 RPM 3,616 CC Dual Over Head Camshafts 3-Speed Manual Gearbox Solid Front Axle with Semi-Elliptical leaf springs and Friction Shock Absorbers. Live Axle Rear with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs and Friction Shock Absorbers