1935 Hispano-Suiza J12 Cabriolet
THREE-TIME CLASS-WINNER AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF RICHARD PAINE, AND JOHN MOZART
IN 1931 HISPANO-SUIZA replaced its H6 series with the J12, also known as the T68, a model that it would produce until 1938. The J12 represented the height of luxury and the pinnacle of Hispano-Suiza’s automotive development. The chassis alone was expensive, but outfitted by some of the greatest coachbuilders of the era who appreciated its exceptional quality and simplicity.
Little is known about this car’s early history, but recent archival research has revealed that on March 24, 1937 this chassis was registered to the Laboratoires de Tirage Cinématographique located at 19 Quai du Président Carnot in Saint-Cloud, west of Paris. According to one marque historian, this car first carried limousine coachwork by Fernandez et Darrin of Paris. A photograph of the in Johnnie Green’s Hispano-Suiza book shows this J12 in a car lot in what appears to be 1950s Los Angeles. The car is later known to have been acquired by the pioneering automobile collector Richard Paine from Mount Desert, Maine. In the middle 1980s John Mozart of Palo Alto, California; one of the world’s foremost automobile collectors, purchased the J12 and began its restoration. The engine was rebuilt by Phil Reilly & Company and Mr. Mozart’s own shop restored the chassis and body which was previously burgundy in color. In 1992 Peter Mullin purchased this exceptional J12 Vanvooren Cabriolet; one of only eight open J12s ever produced.
Coachbuilder: Vanvooren Carrossier Courbevoie-Paris
Chassis No. 14004
Production No. 1 of c120 produced
Engine No. 321018
Vee 12-Cylinder Engine
220 BHP At 3,000 RPM
3-Speed Manual Gearbox
Solid Front Axle With Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs And Adjustable Friction Shock Absorbers. Live Rear Axle with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs and Adjustable Friction Shock Absorbers
4-Wheel Cable-Operated Drum Brakes