1950 Talbot-Lago T26C Grand Prix
THE FACTORY RACING TEAM ENTRY,
FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF COUNT HUBERTUS VON DOENHOFF, COLIN CRABBE AND ERIC TRABER
A FACTORY RACING CAR, Talbot-Lago entered chassis 110052 in the various grand prix of Europe in 1950. It took 4th in the Grand Prix of Belgium and 8th in the Grand Prix de l’ACF. It also competed in Argentina’s 500 miles of Rafaela, driven by Froilan Gonzalez. The following year, it was sold to Octave John “Johnny” Claes, who entered it in all the major European races of 1951, including the Grand Prix of Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Germany, San Rémo, Spain, and Turin. Unfortunately, the car’s racing career came to a halt in 1952 when the noted Belgian driver André Pilette crashed it badly at the Grand Prix d’Albi. Following the crash the car was impounded on a dock in Antwerp and suffered for reasons of exposure and parts theft. French race car driver Paul Swaelens acquired the car from Claes in 1953 and recovered most of the missing parts; but used it little as it was no longer competitive on the racing circuit. Car dealer Anthony “Tony” Mottram bought 110052 in 1974 and partially refurbished it. Four years later, Count von Doenhoff purchased the car and sent it to Paul Grist’s shop in England to finish the restoration. von Doenhoff drove it in vintage racing events before eventually selling it to Colin Crabbe, an English dealer and former race car driver in 1986. In 1991 Crabbe sold it at auction to Swiss collector Eric Traber. Peter Mullin acquired it in 1992 and re-installed its original twin plug racing engine.Peter has enjoyed driving it in vintage racing events for the past 20 years.
Chassis No. 110052
Production No. 2nd of 10 (2nd Series)
Engine No. 45152
Inline Six-Cylinder Aluminum Engine
250 BHP At 4,500 RPM
Dual Overhead Camshaft
4-Speed Wilson Pre-Selector Gearbox
Independent Front, Transverse Leaf Spring with Upper Control Arms , Tubular and Friction Shock Absorbers.
Live Rear Axle with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs, Tubular and Friction Shock Absorbers
4-Wheel Lockheed Hydraulic Brakes